Monday, 29 October 2012

The Things I Cannot Change - Day 29 of 31 Days of change

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference."


It's almost the end of my 31 days of change. At the beginning of the month I wrote about how I wanted to embrace change; to accept those changes which are  happening and that are out of my control; to take a good look at life as it is and shake it up a little(in a positive way). Rather than just letting everything happen to me, I wanted to make some choices about how life might look, as we start another chapter. I wanted to have a bit of a clear out and to welcome in some newness and energy again. I wanted to throw out what was stale and no longer serving me, if it could not be recycled or refreshed.

Well I have started to do this during the month. I can see a little clearer how I might have aspirations to change things; and I can see a little clearer about why these aspirations might not happen, and what I could do to to make those that I really do want, a reality.

I've been thinking a little today about one thing that I yearn to change, that I forever work hard to change, and that I am afraid will never change. Maybe I will write about it here one day. For now I will just acknowledge my frustration at seeming to be unable to change this part of my life. Again it is more about re-framing my perspective, and accepting that what is past cannot be changed. It's about letting go of the outcome and enjoying the journey. It's about what is here now, and about the possibilities for the future. They are not what they were, and now they are less well formed, but they are dancing before me and I am open to them whatever they may hold in store.

I am finding that as I come to the end of this month of awareness, that I am not ready to let go of learning about change. I am looking forward with some excitement, and still some fear, to whatever lies ahead. I have decided I am going to be reading this(new to me) book by David Richo which will accompany me on my journey.

In his book David Richo writes about  

"THE GIVENS OF LIFE: THE THINGS WE CANNOT CHANGE:

(1) everything changes and ends, 
(2) things do not always go according to plan, 
(3) life is not always fair, 
(4) pain is a part of life, 
(5) people are not loving and loyal all the time."

I recently read an article which stated that there were three things that caused us misery if we were unable to accept that they could not be changed. These were:

(1) The past.
(2) Certain circumstances.
(3) Other people.

It's late here for all of this deep thinking. I am an emotional creature and love music, so here is a new(to me) song which will end this post quite well. Cracking lyrics.


4 comments:

  1. Good lessons for us to learn. I enjoyed the video. It was new to me also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed. These lessons are difficult and yet so simple.

      Delete
  2. It is so hard to not look to the past and wish we could change something... it is so hard to keep focusing on the moment... this is a skill I believe that needs so much time, patience and determination to change... it is so easy to keep looking back... not looking forward and just look at the present... I have been away for some time now and have not been reading any blogs that I usually enjoyed... been going through so much change myself ... change that I actually did not want and have no invited into my life... but life works in mysterious ways... anyhow... I will be reading your previous posts to catch up. I missed you and reading your blogs. Much love and many hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you back Lana. I will be coming over to visit your blog as soon as I can. I hope your change is a positive one or that you can find some positive in it.

      Delete