| In the mirror - July 2012 |
"For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: 'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' And whenever the answer has been 'No' for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something. "
- Steve Jobs
I'm not thinking of my day job here, although I suppose I could. I'm thinking about the weight loss that I've managed since around April this year, when I noticed I was becoming heavier and heavier, despite all the walking I was doing. So I took myself in hand, joined weightwatchers, which I loathe, and lost about one stone. I felt so much better, healthier, my clothes felt good and I had more energy.
Don't get me wrong, I am not overweight by much, and I am a pretty healthy person. It was just that I can feel my body changing as I get nearer my 50th birthday. I was feeling unfit, tired and demotivated. Counting points reminded me that there were limits in how much my body needed to eat. It felt good to have these healthy limits, without it becoming obsessive. I was on a high and losing pounds week by week.
Sadly for about 9 weeks now, I've been back to my old ways. Eating too much and the wrong things. Avoiding walking or any other exercise. I've been telling myself that I've been exhausted and needed to rest after the struggles we've been having. That was the case, but no more.
The scales are telling me that the pounds are creeping back on, and after seeing how easy it was and how good I felt when I was losing weight or staying at my one stone lighter weight, I am now determined(she says weakly) to change things up again. A lifestyle change not a diet may I say, as I don't believe in diets! I'm thinking back to how good I felt when it was going well and how on top of things. That will be my motivator.
Ok I might be tired after my busy weekend and first day back at work, but instead of going downstairs now and reaching for the breadbin, I will reach for an orange and a glass of water.
Oh yes I will me dears.
Is there anything you would like to change that is hard for you? Any tips on how to get motivated again when you have lost momentum, or are feeling too busy and too tired?
Hello, Dear! I've just discovered your lovely blog, and I'm now following you ~ so nice to meet you! And, no, I wish I had an easy answer, though, as I will be 55 at the end of this month, and I have been feeling just like you...
ReplyDeleteBest,
Anne
Thank you Anne. Welcome. I will visit you soon. x
DeleteI don't know if there are any easy answers. I know when I have been feeling well and fit I have been doing exercise that I love. (Swimming) The food I eat also has to be something I can stick with. But who am I to suggest anything. I have been eating like a sow the last few weeks. meh
ReplyDeleteLol Birdie. You have made me smile. Me too, what a sow faced pair we are. xx
DeleteMy gallstones got me back on the straight and narrow. I knoew I shouldn't be slipping back to the bad old ways - but the pain was the thing that convinced me. I hope you find an easier solution.
ReplyDeleteAJ hopefully just an eye on your intake and you will not suffer that again. xx
Delete