Zig-Zaggy
More photos from our trip to Brantwood last week. This time showing the reconstruction of Ruskin's Zig-Zaggy, the terraced garden he designed as a representation of
Dante's Purgatorial Mount. If you look carerfully at the thorns around the entrance and along the fence, you will see it is a mixture of a liiving thorny plant and an art instalation which looks like barbed wire but with massive thorns.
 |
| Zig-Zaggy Garden at Brantwood - looking upwards - April 2016 |
 |
| A further view of the thorn sculpture. |
 |
| The thorns are designed to go over the gate that leads up to the garden. |
Sadly I didn't get photographs of all of the plants and installations used to represent the seven deadly sins but here are a few of them......
 |
| This bush represents the sin of Envy. |
 |
| I'm sure this one represented the sin of Wrath. |
 |
| Greed, gluttony and lust just up ahead - the red lips. |
 |
| A slightly better view of the lips. |
 |
| Looking back down from the top terrace. |
 |
| Mr Greenfingers and the rest of the party heading up towards "the earthly paradise." |
Sorry now that I didn't get photos of all seven, nor the three virtues in paradise, but here is an
interesting site which gives a good introduction to Dante's poem
The Divine Comedy. I found it interesting to read about the theory that all sins arise out of love. Here is an illustration I found online of the Island Of Purgatory.
No comments:
Post a Comment