
O is for..... Open Access
(overdue post from Monday 18th April)
I was excited to see that the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York has put 400,000 High-Resolution images online and made them free to use. Here is a guide from the website Open Culture, who tweeted about this on Saturday. I realised quickly that this was old news and this resource became live in 2014. It still made me excited and grateful for the internet and the access we have at our fingertips to such learning.
As a teenager and young adult, I would spend hours in the library, pouring over books on every subject and being taken out of my small world on journey's of learning and imagination. So you can see why i am such a big fan of the internet and get excited when resources such as these are shared. Not quite like being there and seeing the works of art in person, but amazing for teachers and students alike to be able to use such a resouce.
![]() |
| Irises - Vincent van Gogh 1890 (oil on canvas) |
I have also now discovered the Open Culture website, which boasts that it provides information about the "best free cultural and educationals media on the web". It makes me wish I still worked in education. As a life-long learner I am happy to have found the website's page listing 1150 free online courses!
Now I just need the time to enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment