![]() |
| click to visit Day of the Girl Summit |
Since 2012, the United Nations marks 11 October as the ‘International Day of the Girl Child’. The day promotes girls' human rights, highlights gender inequalities that remain between girls and boys and addresses the various forms of discrimination and abuse suffered by girls around the world.
One in three women and girls experience abuse in their lifetime.
More than half of sexual assaults are committed against girls under 16 years of age.
Globally, more than one in three young women aged 20-24 years are married before the age of 18.
...which leads to this....
How I can take positive action to make everyday a Day of the Girl?
“Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.” - Goethe (via Dani Shapiro)
Thinking also today about this....
![]() |
| click to find out where this photo comes from |
....which leads on to this....
How can I start start taking action on what calls to me?....so that I do not turn away in fear and resignation. I am looking for ways to help here and here.
Thinking about how I can take action in my local community? Looking here
and here for some ideas about taking the next steps.
Wondering how my creative urges can help me take action. I watched a film about the making of this sand art on Peace Day. Just being involved in something like that could be life changing.
"Therefore what we can offer the world is unique. If we don't offer it the world won't have it." - Dani Shapiro
Chewing on this today also......
"The soul-voice is about growth, exploration, risk, adventure. The
soul-voice takes you out of your comfort zone to the places where
mistakes are made, you often fall on your face, and life becomes
challenging and messy. The soul-voice fills you up. It expands you. It
enables you to take ownership of your life, even (or especially) when
it drives you to do the things that scare the crap out of you.
When we pursue perfection, we have to shut this voice down, or carve
it out entirely. This leaves a ragged void that we try to fill with our
attempts at perfection, and when those efforts aren’t enough we insist
that our loved ones meet the same impossible standards in order to fill
that void for us."
...which started with my thoughts about this...
Ending today with thinking about this:
Full circle


I went to the site. The stenciling crept me out.
ReplyDeleteIt really was chilling when it showed the completed work on film.
DeleteI am still dismayed at how far women have come. I am even more dismayed how far we have to go. Birth control is still not readily available to most women. If it is available it is not free or even affordable! Not that I have a daughter I am trying so hard to teach her how it is for other girls her age but it proving to be a challenging task. She has only ever know a good life where she can make choices regarding her education, health, spirituality and well-being. It does seem she is 'getting it' because she is starting to bring up topics with me now!
ReplyDeleteThe stenciling bring chills. Wow.
It must be lovely to have a daughter and see her grow into a strong and confident young woman. x
Delete