Thursday, 12 April 2012

A-Z of Joy - A is for Art and A is for Action


Art brings me joy.

Artists, their stories and passion bring me joy.

By the way I am thinking mainly about the visual arts today. Other forms of art will appear later.

Looking at art. Talking about art. Reading about art. Debating with someone else about art. Finding out about the Artist. Trying to get inside the artist's intent.

Action  also brings me joy.

I found this quote yesterday on this blogfull of art and love:  
"For love is action.  It is not saying or wishing or hoping or longing.
And it is in the details." - Terrance Keenan
These children seem to have a clear understanding that love is action! Simples.

I first became interested in art because of my father, who as a young man, had loved to draw. At school I knew a girl who wanted to become an artist, Maxine. We had started drawing together when we were very young, and we both had a talent. By eleven Maxine was clearly committed to living her life as an artist. I sometimes wonder what happened to her, and if she is still creating; or if like me, sadly, she put down her pencil to make way for the "serious work" of being an adult. At 13 children are still asked to choose their GCSE exam subjects, and sadly art is often dropped at this stage(though maybe less so these days I hope). Currently the curriculum at primary school stage is under review, and art is in danger of being seen as one of the non-essentials. Luckily in our education system there are committed teachers taking action to ensure that art remains at the heart of our curriculum in the UK.
 
My very first visit to an art gallery, happened when I was a teenager visiting London for a job interview. The National Gallery in Trafalgar Square was probably the first art gallery I visited. If I had time whilst passing through London, I would pop over there and soak up the atmosphere of the gallery, before rushing off to catch my train. Since then I studied a little about Art History as a young adult, and then visited other galleries as part of my studies and with new friends. Now I still enjoy visiting galleries and finding out about the lives of the artists, and the intention or inspiration behind their work. I love the mystery of the artist's drive to create. I love visiting the wealth of artist bloggers who are out there creating. There is such treasure out there! Recently I have started to dabble and experiment with my own creativity again, inspired by many other creative bloggers, and by The Artist's Way.

So much joy, so much love!

2 comments:

  1. An interesting project described int he video.

    I love art too and admire those who create all the time. Good for you that you are going back to your own creativity.

    Some day I may devote more time to developing and creating art through sketching and painting which I'd dearly love to do. For now I satisfy the urge to create through hand crafting which I also love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny. I hope you get some time for sketching and painting if that is what you would like. Yes I enjoyed the oneandother project greatly.

      Delete