Monday, 4 July 2011

Long Summer Days of Freedom. ICAD #3

Hot summer days, here at last. 
Blisteringly hot.

Playing on the swings. 

Your delicate, brown legs ahead of me.
Bobbing like a mountain goat
Down the hillside.

Listening to the sound of water flowing.
Sitting in the shade, cool and peaceful.
Relaxed chatter.

Too much sun yesterday. 
No hat, or sun-cream - foolishness.
Flies.

That end of the "holidays" feeling.
Savouring my last few days of freedom.

*******

I've been returning to many experiences that I enjoyed as a child just lately. I'm hoping I can take this joy and openness with me as I start a new chapter in my life. After four months of unemployment, and some delays, I start my new job this week.

Now I have to get some focus again, look outward again, while taking care to continue to make time for joy, self-care and practicing compassion with boundaries. I know that I will be just fine, but it still feels just a little bit scary. I'm going to miss my freedom, so I'll really have to make the most of my precious leisure time!

*******

I'm so enjoying the summer ICAD project  at the moment! Again this takes me back to childhood. Being quite a creative child, and then having lost that for so long, this project is just the ticket! I have some plans for September, but for now this is just enough to mark the summer holiday period.

Last week I also managed to keep the cards all a bit more low key. Instead of a big production every day, I kept each card simple - using basic materials and just messing, speeding up a little too! Mr Stayingawake surprised me with an early christmas present - an old second hand Spirograph set from Ebay!

Right back to childhood again!

Feels a bit like freedom!

Freedom from my old habit of complicating matters. Freedom from perfectionism. Freedom from measuring how I'm doing all of the time. Freedom from self-criticism and too much worry. Freedom from pleasing others and silencing my voice. Freedom from the heavy, weight of anxiety. Freedom from joylessness.

All the things I've been working on over the past few months!

Welcome joy! Welcome play! Welcome love! Welcome peace! Welcome freedom!

Oh and a happy Fourth of July to everyone in the USA who visits here - I'm just off to make my card for today and will be thinking of you all as I draw. ;)

ICAD 11 - 26.6.11
ICAD 12 - 27.6.11
ICAD 13 - 28.6.11
ICAD 14 - In honour of Birdie 29.6.11
ICAD 15 - Race for Life 30.6.11
ICAD 16 - 2.7.11
ICAD 17 - 3.7.11

4 comments:

  1. I was going to do an index card a day after reading Patti Digh's book Creative is a Verb. I started then stopped. I have tried but it seems my creativity is missing right now. I should at least me colouring some Mandalas.

    I like your index cards, especially the first and third. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely. I've had a go at doing some but not every day. It's harder than it looks to find something regularly. I admire the fact that you've kept this up. I like the disaster spirograph. I can relate to that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your index cards! They are definitely a great way of getting creative each day without getting hung up on being perfect. So glad to have disovered your blog, will be back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments guys. Birdie, you've got so much to do already just now - maybe when the house is all sorted? AJ glad you can relate to the spirograph disaster - thought it was just me ;). Viv nice to see you and hope you will be back - enjoying your cards too.

    ReplyDelete