Monday, 6 December 2010

Wonder - Reverb10

                                                                 
Prompt: Day 4: Wonder. How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year?
(Author: Jeffrey Davis)




This version of the classic seasonal song was featured on the A&M album "A Very Special Christmas" in 1987

In response to this prompt, I wrote an entry in my journal all about how this course and my camera lens, has helped me to cultivate a sense of wonder in my life this year.

I am still continuing with the photography following on from the course, which began in March. A group of women also participating in the same course, set up a 365 days project. The photographs I took last week continue the winter-wonderland theme. It is sometimes easier at this time of year to have a sense of wonder isn't it?

December

So this year I discovered how looking at life through the lens of a camera helps me to zoom right in onto the tiny details of life. I notice a great deal more than maybe I used to and a sense of wonder has accompanied this more careful looking.








I love how I can go from noticing a leaf or a tiny blade of grass, or to how the sky or the light changes from moment to moment; to the vastness of that sky or to the sea or hills and mountains rolling away into the distance. From the small details and patterns, to the bigger picture. All that are too much of a miracle to be fully accounted for.

Here are some of the photographs taken since March allowing just a tiny glimpse of all the abundance around me. I can see it all everyday, if I take the time to look!

November

June

July
August
September
October
Coupled with the taking of an incredible amount of photographs, I also spent a lot of time walking this year. Getting ready for the China trek both mentally and physically,  helped me to feel a sense of wonder at what my out of shape body could still do. It has been great being out in nature more often too!

While in China I spent time with some fantastic people, who remind me of the capacity that human beings have to care, to give, to overcome hardships and to make a difference. This year I've been focusing on the wonder of such people, instead of simply feeling despair at the scale of some of the problems in the world.

Here is another Christmas song. I feel a sense of wonder at the hope that people have that things will change.

2 comments:

  1. I started drawing last year and it is quite similar. It teaches you to really pay attention to detail. You start to see things in a different way. You notice tiny things you wouldn't have seen before. It's nice. I like the photo with the frost on the leaves. And the kitty in the sun, enjoying it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the kitty is wonderful. Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete