Saturday, 4 December 2010

Christmas Cards and Messages of Hope

What a very exciting Advent Saturday morning it is! The Postie just arrived with the Christmas Cards I ordered last week. Now I can really start the preparations.

This year the cards I will send have come from Amnesty International's online shop and one pack I found in Oxfam. How lovely the designs are - there is such a beautiful one with white candles burning on it!

For the past two or three years I've been taking part in Amnesty's Greetings Card campaign. Some cards are sent to people imprisoned and some to the families of people missing. As it says on the website:
Every card matters. Your cards give strength and hope to their recipients, and send a message to police, prison staff and political authorities that the world is watching what they are doing.
Send a message of hope - Greetings Card Campaign 2008

 It is such an enjoyable time spent writing my own cards for people that I love, people who I don't see very often (I usually try to slip in a little note or longer letter) and new folk in my life. It's great to receive cards, letters or emails from them too, especially those far away.

When I think of those wrongly imprisoned, terrified and separated from their families, it is hard to imagine what it must be like to be a family member of someone missing or to live in a country where you can be imprisoned and tortured for expressing your beliefs. At this time of year especially, we value so much the closeness of our loved ones.

In Christmases past I used to have the tree up and candles burning before I put pen to card. Lately I've been a little less ready and cards have been written in last minute haste! So I'm off to schedule and plan my card writing now, Some cleaning will be on the to do list first however.

No comments:

Post a Comment