Saturday, 29 June 2013

So annoyed with myself (rant warning).

It's not often I come here to moan and rant these days, but I really need the keyboard and white page on which to tap out this annoyance, so it is not in my body anymore.

For three days now I have been in post interview mode and each hour it gets worse as I realise what an opportunity I have thrown away through my own stupidity. I had two interviews this week. One was for my own job which I got. The other was for something I was at first unsure I wanted, but that now I know I do want quite passionately. I am waiting to hear about this and it will be a couple of weeks before I do hear. However I am fully aware that I will not be successful this time. I am also mindful that there most likely won't be another opportunity like this for me now.

I am so annoyed with myself that all of the experience and knowledge I have of the subject seemed to leave me; worse still that I once again did not listen to my instincts which were telling me what to do throughout the most challenging parts of the assessment.

What I wrote and what I said and did, no way showed the depth and breadth of my knowledge and experience.

I ignored my gut feelings and allowed myself to be more concerned with being seen to do the right thing.

Strange as on the day I felt pretty confident. I just kept on thinking that I must be missing something as the whole thing did not seem to affect me at all as it usually would. I knew that I had messed up on one particular part and had not excelled on another part. All I can think now looking back was that  the fear; habitual low confidence in myself; and lack of trust in my own good judgement, just numbed me.

I numbed out.

I allowed my courage to be quashed once again.

I didn't stick my neck out and fell back into the old fear mode.

What if I take the lead and then it all collapses around me?

What if there is no substance behind my facade and I end up looking foolish?

What if I write these recommendations and it is the wrong decision? It's black or white. Right or wrong. Good or bad.

Of course it wasn't at all like this.

I felt uncertain and lacked structure. The uncertainty was ok. They wanted to see some analysis and judgement. I gave them none.

Whereas now I feel comfortable within the uncertainty and know that the structure that evaded me on the day was only just below the surface waiting for me to take a deep breath and let it guide me.

What rubbish I wrote. What an ineffectual, fearful person I looked.

I was so so close to something that could allow me to reach my potential at last.

On the day I felt unmoved.

Today I feel passion.

I want to use all of my experience and really sharpen my focus. It's not going to be possible and this opportunity has been missed. I need to move onto accepting that this has happened and that I had a brilliant chance which quite frankly I let slip out of my hands.

Someone once told me I lacked commitment. That was twenty years ago. At the time I couldn't believe what they were saying. Today I agree totally. I hedge my bets. Always the survivor. Ducking and diving. Using my energies to juggle.

I've had enough of surviving. I want to shape what's left of my future. I need to use the gifts I have been given. I want to use the experience and learning I have been lucky enough to gain in abundance.

It's really not rocket science.

All that happened on that day was fear and overcomplication of what is in fact quite simple.

A big wet tear falls onto the keyboard.

Under the blanket awaits.

Perhaps when I have grieved and let anger turn into sorrow, I can accept. Then I will be able to take what I have learnt and move forward.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jan. My heart is breaking for you on so many levels. I can't believe after reading your analysis of the situation, that it is the end. You got something very valuable out of it. I don't know exactly what or exactly where it will lead, but anyone who reflects as deeply as you do will not be put down. It hurt me when I read about the person that told you you lack commitment. I think of the Second Agreement in Don Miguel Ruiz' book, The Four Agreements...Don't Take Anything Personally. What people say to us has everything to do with them and nothing to do with us. I do understand though. I spent 22 years in the military and had my leadership style questioned several times. I was also praised and awarded many times, but more often than not, the first thing that pops in my head when I'm in a doubtful situation are the criticisms. I send love and hope and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori. I am a late developer and tend not to learn from things as quickly as I might. Perhaps due to the life events which overtake us all at times coming thick and fast, and my tendancy to panic. There is a lot going on within me and I lack structure. I am only just learning this. It's what I do now with this awareness that counts.

      Delete