Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Sunday's post on Tuesday - Swings and Roundabouts

I believe that last Sunday was the birthday of Robert Louis Stevenson. I had intended to post one of his poems to mark the day. Sunday was a very odd day indeed, however, and so no post was written at all!

Thinking about Robert Louis Stevenson, I was bought back to childhood and my love of books, poetry and of swings! I loved books and reading already, before I arrived aged 9, at my new home; to start a new life with my second family. There I was then introduced to a wider variety of reading matter, and was also read to, and sung to, probably for the first time in my home situation! Although perhaps not, as my older sister may well have read me stories when we shared a bedroom back home.

Gratitudes then today, to Robert Louis Stevenson for the children's books and poetry he wrote; and to my foster mother for her soft singing voice, her belief in magic and wonder, her humour, and her wonderful expressive reading of so many, many stories and poems during the later part of my childhood. That is her on the swing in the photograph below.

The Swing 
by 
Robert Louis Stevenson 

How do you like to go up in a swing, 
Up in the air so blue? 
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing 
Ever a child can do! 
Up in the air and over the wall, 
Till I can see so wide, 
Rivers and trees and cattle and all 
Over the countryside— 
Till I look down on the garden green, 
Down on the roof so brown— 
Up in the air I go flying again, 
Up in the air and down! 

Source: A Child's Garden Of Verses

Young At Heart - July 2011
 For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.
 Robert Louis Stevenson
1850–1894

3 comments:

  1. Though it sounds sad that you were not raised at home (perhaps it wasn't sad at all), I think it's wonderful that you were raised by someone who loved reading, singing, magic,wonder and humour. It sounds magical :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your visit to my posts on Fall colours. I just love Fall and your photo above depicts how I feel when I see the glorious shades of Fall or the apple blossoms in the Spring. Have a wonderful weekend Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that travel quote - mmh mmh mmh - a very good one!

    ReplyDelete