I found myself once again, repeating something I had said to myself last year, after completing the ICAD challenge. This was, that doing the challenge had highlighted how much I needed to learn about different art materials and their effects. I still haven't done that, so once again this challenge is making me aware of my lack of knowledge. Not so much that I don't enjoy the drawing for it's own sake, but just enough to poke and prod me into finding time to experiment and to make a vow to do some learning again.
| EDM Challenge Number 2 |
Good things are happening to us too. In particular something that we thought would never happen, but wished and hoped so hard that it would. After nine years of separation and heartbreak of a different kind, we are finally welcoming to our home next week, one of Mr Stayingawake's (now grown up) children.
Right now I am in the middle of this e-course. Last week we learned about Morita journaling. One of the prompts required participants to make two columns in their journals, one for the known and one for the unknown, about "a situation that is still unfolding".
In EDM drawing challenge, I have noticed that I sometimes fear putting pencil to paper. I know what I can see, and have my previous attempts at drawing to remind me of my drawing skills and my experience of materials. I also know that I will enjoy the creative process and feel relaxed after paying attention in this way. The unknown is the outcome, the finished drawing, and how the process and experience of drawing unfolds for me on this occasion.
In both of the above still unfolding situations happening for us in our real lives just now, there is much to worry about that is yet unknown. There is much for my imagination and fear to speculate about.
What is known in the first, is the awfulness of what we have been through and how my loved one has shown much strength in what he has had to face over the past three months. In the second situation, what is known is how much we have looked forward to this day coming, and how excited we both are, how full of love.
I am working on letting go of all of my ruminating and imaginings about the future, about the unknown, none of which I can control.
I cannot control the outcomes of these situations (oh how I wish I could), I can only have awareness and control of my own actions. As we make the house ready for our visitor we are both letting go of the clutter of things we no longer need. We are clearing a space, filling it with love and trust. Letting go of old expectations and plans. Opening up to the unknown.
I have such a difficult time with this as well, always living in the past or the future while I ignore the present. I try.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reminding me.
Hello Lilith. Yes we just have to let go and let the present moment unfold. It's so hard sometimes and then at other times I just have to surrender. xx
Delete