It seems like it's been raining forever here. How is it where you are? Every day for weeks, the skies have been grey. Every day this week it has felt like a tough slog to get through each work day.
However, on Monday afternoon, whilst dashing about getting things done and trying to avoid the huge drops that had started to fall, I noticed how wonderful the pattern of rain-drop circles looked. I stopped to take some photos though they don't fully capture the moment.

The Sycamore seeds look just like lucky horseshoes, like the ones you see in wedding confetti. So while Mica sings about hating days like these, and I fully agree that the greyness of this dreary, relentless, wet summer makes me long for a storm and a break in the clouds, I still feel so thankful to be able to see and savour these beautiful rain-soaked moments.
The photo below reminds me of Autumn or early winter evenings, which I am in no way longing for by the way. However I am reminded of how much I love these wet winter afternoons; dark early, the reflections of headlights on wet roads, and the swhooshing of the traffic as it passes by. Each season has these tiny favourite sensory joys. Time sometimes seems to stop when it rains; you remember; feel suspended; a little disorientated; lost; not quite sure where in time you exactly are.
![]() |
| Waiting for the torch - June 2012 |
"Here comes the rain again,Falling on my head like a memory,Falling on my head like aNew emotion."
Eurythmics
I love to see these rain-jewels on leaves and petals. So tender.
"I can see clearly now the rain has gone, I can see all obstacles in my way."
Johnny Nash
"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin."
Leonard Cohen
"I swear there was a time when I thought it would never stop,and now I only think about you if it's raining or it's not.Jolene, Jolene,Is it still raining everywhere you are?"
The Weepies.


A beautiful post Jan with fantastic photos to capture how even the rain has it's beauty. We had such a long spell of rain here too with the inevitable dull gray. Whenever things like that happen I try to remember it could be much worse and look for ways to be thankful. Just as you have. Well done! Have a wonderful weekend, friend.
ReplyDeleteYes we are so lucky that the floods are not affecting us here. I am so sad for those who are though. Thanks for the visit.
DeleteA wonderful example of how to find joy and beauty in the world no matter what the circumstances. I'm sending the link for this post to my Mom who is currently on an extended visit to my sister in the UK! :)
ReplyDeleteJudy, South Africa
Hope your Mom is not getting too wet where she is Judy. Thank you for your comment. x
DeleteI think rain can be very beautiful - but this latest round has been so destructive. It's hard to think of the beauty. Well done for drawing something positive from all of this. Gorgeous photos.
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed AJ.
Delete