Sunday, 30 September 2018

Quick check in at the end of September

Hello. Everything is very busy here. Work mostly but also a "keeping busy" kind of approach to my recent change in circumstances. It's the end of September and it is four months since things started to change. I'm grateful for everything I have experienced so far in my life.

I'm still here and feeling whole again, well almost. Some days I am so angry and some days I am so very sad and filled with regrets. This week I have been feeling more hopeful about the future.Yesterday I went to a Wedding which took place in a lovely hall across the river from Liverpool. It was such a lovely day with some beautiful people and I was glad to celebrate with them.

29th September - Across the Mersey
My sisters and other family members have been really looking after me, my sister was making a hamper for a Macmillan raffle two weekends ago when I visited. We went for a long walk and talked. Putting the world to rights as they say.

My sister's hamper project.
One day last week I got up very early and set off to work as the sun was rising. It was good to be up and out early and driving into the sunrise was very uplifting. 

Sunrise late September.
The leaves are beginning to show their Autumn beauty, I'm hoping for some fine days in which to enjoy them. 

Autumn Leaves

I heard this poem today:

         The Place I Want To Get Back To
is where
in the pinewoods
in the moments between
the darkness
and first light
two deer
came walking down the hill
and when they saw me
they said to each other, okay,
this one is okay,
let’s see who she is
and why she is sitting
on the ground like that,
so quiet, as if
asleep, or in a dream,
but, anyway, harmless;
and so they came
on their slender legs
and gazed upon me
not unlike the way
I go out to the dunes and look
and look and look
into the faces of the flowers;
and then one of them leaned forward
and nuzzled my hand, and what can my life
bring to me that could exceed
that brief moment?
For twenty years
I have gone every day to the same woods,
not waiting, exactly, just lingering.
Such gifts, bestowed,
can’t be repeated.
If you want to talk about this
come to visit. I live in the house
near the corner, which I have named
Gratitude.
Mary Oliver
I was trying to find a video of someone reading it to post here, but couldn't. I came across this reading of another of her poems instead which is also very comforting and peaceful I find. I hope your September has been a good one.


6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are doing well Jan and that you have family to support you. I really love the poem too. Have a an awesome month of October. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to know that you have love surrounding you. Remember that feeling whole is not a permanent destination. It ebbs and flows. We have good days and bad ones, good moments and ones that hurt so bad they take our breath away. It definitely sounds like you are over the worst. Much love, Jan.

    Happy October. 🧡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Birdie. Yes that is such a good reminder about the ebbs and flows. xx

      Delete
  3. Hello Jan. It's a while since I've been in touch. Despite the changes in your life I'm glad that there are family members who are supporting you. Your photos are always meaningful. I've just come across Mary Oliver in a book I'm reading by Susan Hill. The writer also appreciates her poems. Thank you for sharing the poem and video as up to now I've never come across her work.

    ReplyDelete