Sunday, 18 February 2018

Just start where you are....and start again....and again.




When I look back I often feel that I wasn't given the "right" guidance by my elders or maybe the guidance was well intentioned but maybe not given in the kindest way. I ended up fractured, and as an adult I've spent years trying to gather up the fragments. Like the adults who raised me. 

Yesterday I was thinking about my priorities in life and trying to work out, again, how I can retain a work-life balance on my return to my busy workaday life tomorrow. Putting one foot in front of the other is all I can do and reminding myself at all points where there is a space, to choose "grace not shadow."

" Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our Freedom." 
- Viktor E.Frankl.
I wanted to post a video here, of Emma Gonzalez one of the students who survived the shooting last week, in Florida. I linked to the video instead or you can search for it yourself if you can bear to watch it. Please watch it. Emma addressed a gun control rally yesterday in Fort Lauderdal, and I happened to see the video of her speech after coming across it on Twitter. I was in awe of her courage and passion, but very sad for her grief and anger. One of the tweets said "the young people will set us free." 

Here we are in 2018. I truly hope that young people around the world will have the courage to stand up and do right. To live their lives for their highest good and the good of others. That they have been given what they need in their childhood so they do not have to repeat the mistakes of their elders. That they are able to tap into all the wisdom of those who have gone before, so that the world does not have to learn the same lessons over and over again. 

Individually we will always be learning our own lessons, and will have to start again so many times. Here I am watching the world from my safe place and learning what I can do...putting one foot in front of the other. Reflecting on my story and how it was full of love and light. Thinking about my elders and how they tried to give me what I needed. Finding my own way, becoming visible and hearing my own voice again.


"Try to be a rainbow in someone else's cloud."
 - Maya Angelou




2 comments:

  1. Love all your quotes and thoughts. Every day is a new day to begin afresh and put yesterday behind us save for any special memories we hold dear. Much love. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on remembering the good memories and viewing my past with a different lens Penny. Thank you Penny.

      Delete