Saturday, 11 April 2015

April Moon Day 6

When I hear Thunder

.........the feeling that something is about to break...to break through...the feeling that something is about to happen that you've been waiting for...though you may not quite be sure what that something is...you might never be sure.

That grumbling sound overhead and the darkening skies; or that light and cloud chasing up above you....it says "get yourself ready".....it says "there will be drama"....it says "there will be release"...."something is coming".....and "RUN!" 

It says "this is what life is all about"......and "stay frozen to the spot because you can't outrun this one!"

It says "time to do battle"....then, "time just to accept the storm, stand steadfast and look at the skies."

It's a welcome sound to me, and I long for it as I write this.

It's a sound that signals the coming of the lightening flashes.....the counting inbetween grumble and flash...the sensing that the storm is moving closer...or further away.

It's a sound that signals the switching everything off, and the standing at the window, watching and counting together or alone.....but not too close so that one bright finger of the lightening "gods" might strike you. 

"The Gods are moving their furniture around up there." I recall childhood stories, myths and legends...that when I hear the thunder grumble makes me feel very small again. Small against the vastness of the skies and the distance being crossed so quickly by this approaching storm.... a small still creature, in this dark and fleeting night that allows me a pause on my life's journey.....the pause reminds me of the smallness of my everyday...the small flash of me and my brief visit to the earth.

If I'm outside I can smell the coming rain....and it will come eventually....the damp earth....a cool, cool place that welcomes me back....my aliveness.....my source....awakened by these grumbles, that grow louder and louder until the rain sheets down or heavy drops spot on my skin....pulled out of the clouds, sluggish and not quite ready.

If its daylight, I think about whether I am or am not safe - I've heard stories of lightening striking, though I've never seen this.....and I want to stay alive. Once I was in the middle of the countryside alone and ran under a tree...before making a break for it between flashes....running for my car with it's rubber tyres....and during the race worrying about the car keys in my hand....and whether the lightening "god" would see the tiny glint of metal, sending his deadly finger down to show me that I am not in control as I think I am....trying to remember which metals are the ones I should have left at home..... and that maybe it's too late! I survived, even after running under a tree.....and forgot (until the next reminder)....just how desperately I wanted to live, and how strong we humans can be. 



I'm joining in with April Moon 2015. It's a little late, and I'm a little bruised from running and scrambling. Also Day 6 is my Day 1 and I'm just jumping right in....

6 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this. Brought me back to childhood days of frightening and powerful storms hiding under the bed because the lightening and thunder was so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny, that sounds like something I would like to read about. Storms here are just babies compared to elsewhere in the world. x

      Delete
  2. So happy to see you Jan! You've responded beautifully, as always. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat. Thank you I joined in with reverb too but privately in my journal. Always makes me think and I love reading the posts from others. xx

      Delete
  3. It's good to hear from you and hope there's more to come of your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Linda. My writing is very raw and needs editing but I enjoy blogging so hope to continue if I am brave enough.

      Delete