Saturday, 1 November 2014

Last October Friday - on the 1st of November! What next?

Reflections on my week.....inspired by :


Timeline_Cover_doNotRename58

On the menu:
It's moving into porridge season now. On the menu for breakfast this week has been porridge. Also for lunch on occasion. Confession.....it's the kind that comes in a pot and which you add hot water to! Proper porridge with cream, sugar or salt....that is what is really needed, but the pan puts me off. I always manage to burn it. Any recommendations for a porridge pan that is easy clean? Modern life and working full time, requires easy clean pans and time saving items (I don;t know how working parents do it) ...but there is something missing isn't there?

I am still struggling to eat healthily. Am I making excuses or letting go of perfectionism? I ask this because I secretly know that with a little planning and determination I could keep all of my balls in the air and still eat healthily. For one thing, if I stopped carrying my whole life around with me in my bag, "just in case", then a healthy salad box could fit in it. Yesterday lunch was a garage sandwich, packet of quavers, and mango juice(didn't look at the label); eaten whilst driving to an appointment that I was almost late for. It took me two and a half hours to drive home(unusual); and Mr Stayingawake is away, so tea was a takeaway for one. Not so good. A slow cooker would help there I think!

Out the window:
 It was the first week of "clocks back time". The sun is coming up just after I get up, at the moment. The weather has been dry most days, and the skies have been looking beautiful. I have had to stop myself  from pulling over on the motorway hard shoulder to take a picture. Not practical or safe! So I've been capturing the view in my memory instead. A couple of mornings I've popped out into the garden before leaving, just to breath in the beauty ready for the day ahead.
 
October skies - 2014

 Reading: 
My pile of "currently reading" and list/pile of "to read" grow ever longer. This one is on the first pile...

This one is on the second: 



Watching: 
For an hour or just over on a Sunday night I am somewhere else....I just can't help myself!


 

Listening
During the two and a half hour journey home last night, some Halloween classics were played on the radio...including...


and.....


 Good things:

  • Weekends
  • Family together for dinner
  • Facing my fears
  • Facing the discomfort
  • Feedback
  • Medical technology - fragile humanity - feeling humbled and privileged
  • Work in my in-tray, feeling supported and appreciating the trust that I can do this
  • Speaking from the heart, listening, being included
  •  Time alone   
Round and About:

Menopause - don't go sweat in a corner, celebrate sexy and expect the unexpected! 

When I loved myself enough.  at my new favourite place, "Cauldons and Cupcakes".

Losing sight of the shore.  Theresa Robinson blogs about letting go. She advises: "There is absolutely no need to wander down every rabbit trail — “just in case” there is something useful there."

 Sazan blogs from Kurdistan - she writes about life in a changing and frightening world, how things are in her part of this world these days.

One of my favourite bloggers AJ, blogs about visiting museums and her feelings about war. 

Jonathon Jones puts himself in the line of fire as he gives his view of the world war one poppy memorial at the tower. I welcome another story, i couldn't put it into words myself. The poppies are a fabulous piece of art but i struggled to connect with them.

 Gathering my selves Susannah Conway

Chris Blattman - 10 hours of walking as a woman in NYC. Frightening! 


 Listen let me whisper in your ear:

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Here is some refrigerator oatmeal. I would heat in up in the microwave. http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

    Slow cookers are nice but lately I am even too tired to make a meal in one. If I had energy I would make a bunch of meals on my days off and put them in the slow cooker in the morning. The forever elusive feeling of one day feeling not so damn tired.

    I keep intending to watch Downton Abbey but haven't gotten around to it. Netflix has so many great shows!



    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great post you have been busy we to are trying to eat healthy but sometimes a girl just has to let go and have something that she wants

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Jan, I can relate to your challenges in finding ways to eat healthy For me it is always a struggle and I'm still learning. Here is what I do when I'm on top of things for oatmeal. I cook the oatmeal ahead of time. I like to use steel cut oats or larger flakes (more nutritious). I have a stainless steel saucepan which cleans up a breeze. I make my oatmeal on the thin side because I find it gets thicker after it cools. Anyway, I make enough for a few portions and put it in a container in the fridge for the days ahead. I always add some nuts and gogi berries for added goodness then I don't add sugar when eating. I sometimes add ground up flax seeds too after you heat it up in the microwave.

    For lunch it is good to think and plan ahead of time for your fruits and veggies as well as main course. Like you say, you have to have a bag that makes room for your lunch but if you are driving to work this should be that big of a problem. You can take your lunch in a separate bag.

    For dinners, a grill is good. You can even cook frozen chicken breasts, steaks or fish fillets in a flash. This makes it easy if you have your meats prepackaged into servings of 1-2 pieces in case you are also cooking for Mr. Stayingawake. Veggies come out nicely on the grill too. I'm afraid a slow cooker doesn't work for me because it takes too long but I'm thinking of getting a pressure cooker (one day) :-)

    I hope you are enjoying the lead up to Christmas I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jan, thanks for stopping by. I hope you and Mr. Stayingawake had a wonderful Christmas. Wishing you the very best of the New Year to come :-)

    ReplyDelete