Saturday, 27 July 2013

Singalonga Saturday - wondering what to do to make this world a fairer and more compassionate place.

"When the poor come to you in great need, begging for food, do not harden your hearts against them. Remember that the poor may once have been rich, and you may one day be poor."
- from The Rig Veda

Apart from all the personal stuff going on again with me, I have also been feeling a tad angry, concerned and hopeless about the political/social situation here in the UK. In the world in general. This is nothing new.

Right now I am wondering what to do to make a difference. Of course I work in "helping people", and that means I can make a difference in small ways to individuals and their families.

However I am angry and concerned about the decisions that are being made, about the skewed view we seem to have in the "developed world" to what is valuable - now not simply "what" but "who " is valuable and worthy.

I want to do something instead of just watching it all happen.....but what? I can march I suppose. In Egypt people were so angry they demonstrated to get the elected president removed. Here few people turn out to demonstrate. We turn on the TV or find other ways of numbing out, instead.

Thanks to Robert in the past two days I have been listening to the one and only Billy Bragg. Who always makes me feel fired up and ready to take action. Here he is singing another Woody Guthrie song and speaking about history repeating itself.


8 comments:

  1. Hmm, there is also so much in the world to keep on top of and to see where we can spend our limited time helping others.

    I'm afraid I do not know what is happening across the pond that has gotten you fired up. My guess is that it has something to do with cutbacks on programs dealing with the very vulnerable. This always riles me up too and is the first thing that happens when politicians here want to "shave" the budget. I wish they would first cut some of their perks and benefits as they will still have a much higher than average salary and allowance to live on. That is my rant for the day.

    Back to what you can do. Right now I have a gofundme project which I am asking friends to share on their own networks (Twitter, Facebook, blogs, etc.). If you would consider sharing the link and/or widget that would really help more people know of the need and widen the possibilities for help. Thank you for considering. (You can see the button my on blog). Have a wonderful rest of your weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the one and only. Try this one too (it's a long one!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-R73tNgEUg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you... I spend my days & nights worried about what's going to happen to our country, other countries... in fact, the world. There is so much evil... so much fighting. So much hatred.

    It frightens me.

    Ok, now I will retreat back into my happy cocoon in the tin can and do what I can to ignore the stuff outside my walls for a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems more hopeless now I am older somehow. But I know there is so much good work and young people coming up to make a difference that when I really stop to think about it I feel that things might be ok.

      Delete
  4. The story is the same everywhere. Corrupt politicians that are only out to make money for big business. I really worry about my children's future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is the corruption and greed and lack of compassion that really get to me. I suppose we have to remember those that have gone before and who have made great changes with great courage and just keep on working to give the children the strength to fight it all. x

      Delete