Saturday, 18 May 2013

On our Jollydays - Shanklin Chine #Part 2

Another Isle of Wight Chine, and the largest on the Island, is Shanklin Chine .Just a short walk from where we were staying, Shanklin Chine, like Blackgang, was bought by a Victorian business man who put in paths and starting charging visitors for entry in 1817. Prior to this visitors would have had a difficult climb to get up to see the waterfall; and prior to 1820 smugglers were said to use a tunnel from the Chine to the Old Village. With a drop of 32m (105ft) to sea level, and just over a quarter of a mile, the Chine covers an area of approximately three acres.

We started at the top entrance and walked down. It was a beautiful day and I fell in love with the Chine. It is peaceful and beautiful place. I can imagine, if I lived nearby, spending afternoons relaxing there, maybe drawing, writing or sitting reading in one of the little nooks.

The top entrance and waterfall - April 2013
Similar view in 1910 (Image from Wikipedia)

The Chine cuts through Lower Greensand sandstone, and the website reports 150 varieties of wild plants and over 50 species of moss and liverwarts, some extrememly rare.




The gorge is very wet and in the rainy seasons, landslides are common. The photograph below shows some dramatic looking tree falls. Many of the root balls of the trees on the top of the valley sides are visible from down below.

Landslide with fallen trees - Shanklin Chine April 2013


The Chine becomes a little prettier and less rugged as you walk further down toward the sea. It is very lush and green here and so peaceful. The shadows and light on the plants are so facinating. Mr Stayingawake is just over the bridge in the photo below and looking at the map/information booklet.


First glimpse of the sea through the trees(below). The house on the left is now the Heritage Centre and cafe, but used to be a guesthouse popular with newlyweds and known as "Honeymoon Cottage", then for a while it was the first school in Shanklin for the fishermen's children.


They have an Aviary also(see below), which has some interesting art work decorating it all done by local schools and showing the history and nature of the Chine. I don't like seeing the birds in cages really. There were also Chickmunks which were so sweet, but again I hate seeing them in cages. Nice for the children however. There are lots of animals and birds that can be seen living wild in the Chine if you are lucky enough. Thankfully I did not see a Cave Spider, though they are said to live here. Apparently they are hardly ever seen due to the fact that they live almost exclusively in complete darkness.


When we visited there was a very interesting exhibition running at the Heritage Centre about the work of the painter J.M.W.Turner when he visited the Isle of Wight. The exhibition is showing drawings of his journey around the Island, from his sketchbook of 1795. Also included in the exhibition is some of the work of the poet Keats who stayed in Shankin in 1891; and also other artists, poets and writers, including Jane Austin in 1813, who visited and were inspired by the Chine.


Below is a Victorian Hot Brine Bath which was removed from the fisherman's cottage at the mouth of the Chine in 1970. Sea water was carried to the cottage and heated in a large copper tank with a fire underneath. Bathing in hot brine was thought to have health giving properties but once actual sea bathing became popular with visitors in the beginning of the 20th Century the practice ended.



Lower entrance to the Chine showing the Thatched Roof of the Fisherman's Cottage and pipe outlet to the sea. April 2013.
During the Second World War PLUTO(the PipeLine Under The Ocean) was run though the Chine and 70 miles under the sea bed of the Channel to Cherbourg in France.


Looking towards the East from Shankin Chine - April 2013
Fisherman's Cottage, now a pub, and view to the West - April 2013
Antique Print showing Shanklin Chine from the sea - dated 1854 (click here for image details)

6 comments:

  1. Interesting video. I never knew about these pipelines. I enjoyed the photos too, esp. seeing the visitors to the falls in the 1800s. I hope you are enjoying your weekend.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't either. Apparently it was top secret so that the German's would not discover what Britain was up to. We never covered it in history lessons at school either. Glad you liked the photos. You too Penny - hope you are having a good weekend.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely fascinating. Love these armchair travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So enjoyed seeing the walk in the Chine. This resonates with me just now as yesterday I went with my new Chinese friend to see the Ruskin exhibition in one of the art galleries in Sheffield. (There were a few Turner sketches, too). Looking at those first pictures I thought - Ruskin would have been inspired to draw those rocks, wild plants and mosses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree he would. I never knew how many artists and writers are connected with the Island. Sounds like a good exhibition maybe I will have to take a trip over to Sheffield soon.

      Delete