I've been busy today at work, mostly helping men actually! However, I wanted to come home and mark International Women's Day 2013 on the blog. I've been thinking about the above Annie Lennox song since last Saturday and was going to post it then. She has done so much good work to raise awareness and understands what it feels like as a privileged Western woman, who suffers from depression and wants to make a difference in the world by her presence.
As women our lives are linked inexorably to those of men. We are human. A day to celebrate women and to fight for equality and safety for women, does not exclude men, how could it? We have fathers and brothers, and sons. Our sons and brothers have daughters. We are Mothers or we contribute to building the future in some other equally important way. There are so many ways to help. All I can do today is to visit the UN women website and read about Shehnaz Bano. Here is a quote about the song released today to raise funds and awareness to improve women's lives.
"Launching on International Women's Day, 8 March 2013, the song is a rallying cry that inspires listeners to join the drive for women's rights and gender equality. "One Woman" was written for UN Women, the global champion for women and girls worldwide, to celebrate its mission and work to improve women's lives around the world.This year, International Women’s Day focuses on ending violence against women — a gross human rights violation that affects up to 7 in 10 women and a top priority for UN Women. As commemorations are underway in all corners of the globe, "One Woman" reminds us that together, we can overcome violence and discrimination: "We Shall Shine!" Join us to help spread the word and enjoy this musical celebration of women worldwide."
I love the song and annie, and thanks for bringing awareness to such a special day
ReplyDelete