Monday, 25 February 2013

Around the World in 80 Books

As I am reading a book about Nigeria at the moment I decided that I would (loosely) join in with the Around the World in 80 Books challenge that is currently gripping the interwebs. On Good Reads too they have put up a list up which takes you to a country a month, and also to an American state a month. I may join it though I am late to the party.

Included on my map so far, are books read in previous years as follows(I am sure many more will come to mind):

 Ukraine: A Short History of Tractors In Ukraine by Marina Lewycka and thanks to Linda for the recommendation.

Afganistan: The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini; A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini.

India: The God Of Small Things - Arundhati Roy.

Nigeria: The Icarus Girl - Helen Oyeyemi; The Other Hand - Chris Cleave.

South Africa: A Separate Development - Christopher Hope.

USA:  Lucky - Alice Sebold.

China: The Good Women of China - Xinran.

Pakistan, Singapore, India - Half Life - Roopa Farooki.

Around the world in books
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

First on my travels this year in January, I "went" to Sweden to read this:


February's destination is Nigeria and the novel Half of a Yellow Sun. I never noticed until now that I have read a number of books set in Nigeria. 

Both of the above novels were recommended by blogger friends, Penny being one of them - so thank you Penny.

6 comments:

  1. Cool! I like the idea of mapping out the locations of books read. I'm so glad you're reading Half of a Yellow Sun. I am pretty sure you will find it a great read. I'll check out the other two Nigerian books you've noted. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you come to Canada I recommend anything by Miriam Toews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly look her up. Thank you for the recommendation. x

      Delete
  3. I was tempted to join the Around the World in 80 Books challenge on Goodreads as well, but (even though it's only March) 2013 has already run away with me! And I have another manuscript to finish before July!! Eeek.

    Enjoy your book travels Jan - there's some good books in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know where does the time go Judy? I still have to review the book you sent me on there. What are you writing now I wonder.

      Delete