Sunday, 4 November 2012

Winter's coming! Bring out the soup. Thinking about food and about having enough..

This was my car window on Friday morning when I left for work. All of a sudden the weather seems to have turned bitterly cold. This was a little of the hail that lay quite thick on the ground on Friday in some places. The last few days in other area (not here), they have had snow. Even without the snow, it's been cold enough for gloves, hats and scarves. I even said yesterday that I might treat myself to some thermals. Yes I know we in the UK are very soft when it comes to the cold winter weather. It's mild here throughout winter in comparison with some other places. However my bones are cold this weekend, so I spent today making two different soups for the week's lunches and teas.

Hail - 2nd November 2012
The first was a lovely green colour which looks very vibrant and health-inducing for the start of winter. Using up some left over spinach, potato, broccoli and fine beans was easy enough, though I'm not sure it will be so easy eating it. I have a bit of an aversion to green liquids, but as it is packed full of goodness I will do my best to have at least one bowl. If I sprinkle some goats cheese onto the top that might help.

Spinach and Potato Soup - Nov 2012

Pretty green speckles - November 2012

The second soup was made with Butternut squash, tomato and chilli; so is a very orangey-red colour. Very tasty and warming indeed! The cupboards and fridge are stocked ready for the week ahead whatever it may bring.

I was reminded as I typed this about 9 year old Martha Payne and her recent visit to the children of Malawi to see how her blogging and fund raising, has provided one meal a day in school for 10,000 children so far. In this part of the documentary we see Martha think hard about the question asked of her about what it would be like to eat porridge everyday. Like Martha I was also reminded of just how much choice and variety most of us in the West have. I am wondering if I could be disciplined enough to eat one meal a day for a week. I am also thinking of those who live here, who do not have enough to eat and are finding it hard to afford to heat their homes properly.


It was so wonderful to see the children receiving those school bags full of goodies. Delight over pens and other basic items that again we take for granted. I was heartbroken to see the little girl who was late and didn't receive a gift. It clearly meant so much to her.

Donations can still be made at Never Seconds Just Giving Page.

2 comments:

  1. If you ever feel that a soup's too green you can always give it a good 'squidge' of tomato puree to brown it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah good idea. Will try that in my too green soup. It was a bit like eating swamp today.

      Delete