Saturday, 21 January 2012

Moving in, Stepping up, Living Alive.

Empty Nest Room - January 2012
Last weekend I put up the pasting table, unpacked my arty bits and pieces, and moved it all into my son's empty bedroom. He moved out over a year ago now and so I thought it was time to claim this room  for a while.

I've been finding it very difficult to create anything at all without being able to have all of my "stuff" easily accessible, and without being able to leave things out to dry, or to come back to later. Just having this space has proved to be exactly what is needed, as this week I got cracking on the BOD project from Effy Wild (which I had found through Lee at Defining Me). I have watched the video from week 1 several times now,  as Effy provides a beginner(in using all of these wonderful art materials), like me, with plenty of quick and easy information and techniques. I have spent almost every night after work, in my "artroom", and have been loving every minute.

Then, fully inspired and wanting some "proper" materials, instead of making do with the initial items I bought last year when I first began to play again, I spent some money on myself(no guilt please inner critic). In one of Effy's videos, she opens a package, brings out some new materials and starts to play and experiment with them straight away. The deliciousness of her opening the package and her delight with what she finds in there, encouraged me to experience the same.

I am loving my new purchases, they are going a long way to helping me feel much more satisfied with my pages so far.....I bought all of these lovely goodies.....

Art Goodies - January 2012
I don't really want to start posting too many pictures of my BOD. I find that often the idea that I will be posting pictures on my blog takes something away from the art journaling process itself. However I will post some occasionally. Here is the almost finished cover(just need to seal it and make it lovely and shiny).

Front Cover BOD - January 2012

Back Cover BOD - January 2012
I cannot believe I have actually used a real old book. When I first saw Effy creating an "altered book", something within me screamed, "Nooooooo!" I was always taught as a child, not to write or damage a book in any way, so this went against something I believed strongly. I had to resist the urge to play it safe.

I chose a book that had loose pages, was already well read and loved, and was perhaps destined never to be read again in this copy. This year part of "living alive", is about not allowing the past to determine my future and about choosing to do it differently(thank you Julia), so choosing to break some rules in this way and reframing this act, into recycling, and a very creative and loving one, was a great way to start the BOD project.

Getting started on my Altered Book - ouch! - January 2012
Scary stuff! - January 2012
Next job....to tidy and organise my materials within their new home. Happy Weekend!

8 comments:

  1. It's terrific that you've made a space to work on being creative. May you get tremendous joy out of it. From what I can see, you've made a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray on the new room and to "stepping up". i would love to get into altered books, as well. thx for sharing the process and a peek at your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi jojo. Thanks for visiting and having a peek. Would love to see what you create if you ever have a go at an altered book.

      Delete
  3. i loved looking at all your supplies, i love supplies, and isnt it great just to have a place to your own to create, loved the cover of your book as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee. Yes I am loving having space. Now I just need to follow your example and find a way of organising my supplies.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jan! This seems to be the year for getting creative spaces organized or even created. Yay for you!

    Like what you have started here with your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa. Thanks for visiting again. I will have to pop over to see you at your blog very soon.

      Delete