Well not so much a meditation, but a piece of music and some stories about the passing of time, grief. and the complexity of life.
I listened to an episode of Soul Music on Radio 4 on Saturday afternoon, whilst making more jam and chopping vegetables ready for making pickles. It was raining outside and the kitchen was warm and full of the smells of cooking. Just me and the radio. It is well worth a listen but I've picked out two of the stories that were particularly moving.
The programme featured many speakers, who recounted the effect this piece of music had had on them during their lives. The story I remember the most involved a conversation between a bereaved brother and mother. The mother was Doreen McFarland, whose daughter Samantha, then aged 17, was killed in the Omagh bombings on the 16th August 1998. Samantha had asked her mother to come round a few days earlier as she had wanted her to hear this piece of music. Doreen then had the piece of music played at her funeral.
After week after this, Samantha's brother asked how his mother was feeling and she replied "like there is a hole through me and out my back." He replied that the hole would be filled in time by Samantha. Doreen spoke on the programme about how this indeed had happened, that the space had been filled by her daughter's presence. Doreen said that neither she nor her son are able to listen to this piece of music anymore.
A second story that also was very moving, and quite amazing. was the story of the artist Mary Husted who had created a series of artwork in response to the music. She had associated the music and the piece of art work was connected with the loss of her baby son, who was taken away from her when she became a teenage mum.
The artwork was displayed in an exhibition which was attended by her son who had been adopted as a baby, and had been looking for her since he had reached adulthood. He had seen the piece of her art that she had created to tell his and her story, and had recognised her name. He had then got in touch with her and they had been reunited.
Just a beautiful piece of music and once again I am in awe of the courage of so many ordinary people.
oh Jan... I have no words to describe the feelings going through my system right now... a beautiful piece of music that bring on a flood of emotions... and your touching stories? I read your words while listening to the piece... both mothers are courageous... one lost, and maybe gained a little.. and another regained after losing...loss is not something easy to deal with... it takes courage to face a new day without a loved one's physical presence... thank you for sharing...
ReplyDeleteI am on a rush (I'm moving country and have no time to read everything I like...) but there's something for you in my blog:) Go check it! Kiss
ReplyDeleteQuite amazing yes Lana. I'm glad you listened. Both the music and the courage shown by these women.
ReplyDeleteIsa I understand that rushed feeling and not enough time to read everything you like. Thanks for your visit and your blogger awards. I will try to respond. xx