Saturday, 4 September 2021

August Break - last days of summer.


Day 24 - Shine 

August is always an exciting month as it is my son's birthday. He is an adult now of course but like many others, I am so grateful to have a lovely relationship with him. My extended family is a large one, but we are not close with them. I have been thinking lately about that. I was the youngest in my birth family and seven years younger than the next one up. That means that I have less of a connection both in memories, and also that when our children came along, my son was so much younger than his many cousins. He has many friends, and they do say that "friends are the family you choose for yourself", don't they? 

Day 24 - Shine 

A lovely birthday eve meal, near to the Air bnb we stayed in for a couple of nights. It was a really lovely place, and we would definitely recommend it and return ourselves if we are ever in the area again. A new business it seems. The owner came to chat with us and explained the circumstances of his new venture. He had his shine on which was lovely to see. 

Day 24- Shine 

Day 24 - Shine 

Day 24 - Shine 

All photos of our beautiful Airbnb place. I really loved the feel of this home and the hostesss. When thinking of my own home and how I would like it to feel and look, I will draw on inspiration from here. 

On returning home I did another big sweep of the garden, cutting the grass and clearing more of the aggressive weeds. These little pretty weeds are not going anywhere just now. The garden does need a clearing as it has been left to grow wild for some time now. Autumn will be the time to get this task in hand. 

Day 25 - Pretty Weeds 

Day 25 - Pretty Weeds 

Day 25 - Pretty Weeds 

I love the last weeks of summer and am hoping for some blue skies in September and perhaps in October too. Some warmth would be lovely too for a bit longer. On this day I got onto my bike with my shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt, and rode along the coast. It was the early evening but still lovely and warm! 

Day 26 - Sky 

As I said in my last August Break post, I have been visiting a lot of rocky places recently and reconnecting with my childhood interest in geology and chemistry. This location is one I have not visited for some years now so I was glad to return. It was early evening when we visited and quite deserted, giving the place a really eerie atmosphere. 

It is written on a plaque nearby that if you can climb the "Fairy Steps" without touching the sides, your wish will be granted. On attempting this, it was clear that this is almost impossible due to the narrow gorge and the steepness of the "steps". 

Day 27 - Rock 

Day 27 - Rock 

Day 27 - Rock 

Day 27 - Rock 

Day 27 - Rock 

I am so lucky that my life is full of adventures. Each chapter a new adventure. Each day a new adventure. Most days I am still full of awe and wonder at the extraordinary world we live in. That is how I live my life. A sunset brings thoughts of little me sitting here on planet earth, floating in the universe, with the sun so far away, the source of life for our world. What an adventure is this life!

Day 28 - Adventure 

Day 28 - Adventure

Day 28 - Adventure 

Day 28 - Adventure 

Day 28 - Adventure


Day 29 - Yes!

Saying "Yes!" means saying "no" more often. I've been saying yes to everything and everyone which only leads to exhaustion. Two and a half years ago I chose to start saying yes more often and to say no much less often. Then came the pandemic and lockdowns, after which we are left feeling very much that life is too short.... so yes, yes, yes to everything was the order of the days. 

However now I am slowing down again, as I move into a new chapter of my life. Saying yes with discernment and intention is how I need to go forward now. 

Yes to picking up feathers, to walking in amazing countryside, to learning the names of trees, and rocks, and distant hills, to going on a foraging walk soon, to writing and painting and creating more, to reading, to making a home, to sitting in silence, to exercising more, to meditating and reading poetry more, to enjoying new ways to relax and to listening to music and dancing. 

Day 29 - Yes!!

Day 29 - Yes!!


Day 30 - I believe 


I believe in everyday miracles. I believe in magic. I believe in love. I believe in the courage of the human spirit.  believe in the power of forgiveness and gratitude. I believe in second chances, compassion and true grit. I believe in education, art and learning. I believe I am a unique and precious creation and that you are too. I believe in laughter and tears. I believe in the power of a good bike ride on a gloomy day. I believe in stillness. I believe in you. I believe there is a reason for this magic. I believe in hope, strength and experience and in sharing these in understanding that we all have more in common than that which divides us.

Day 31 - August was....



Thank you to Susannah Conway as always for the joy that is the August Break Photo Challenge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment