I'm listening to this right now.
After watching "Anne with an E" last year and really connecting with the song and the version of this much loved character and her story, I was inspired by the song (and the story all over again).
Then someone I was friendly with in late 2020 during the Pandemic mentioned "Goodnight Josephine" and I also came across "Now for Plan A" so I was inspired to listen to more of The Tragically Hip. I am now a big fan and loving this new experience.
Alongside this, I've been thinking about the episodes of Anne with an E which tell the story of Ka'kwet and the controversy about the show being too "woke" in it's representation of this hidden history, and also in portraying issues for LBGT young people and women that have not traditionally been part of mainstream history and TV. I have enjoyed reading this article about the damage caused by the cancellation of the show to indigenous viewers as the story of Ka'kwet was not resolved and this lack of resolution distressing and concerning to viewers in coming to terms with the hidden trauma in the history of their ancestors.
I am learning more about this after the recent news from Canada of the discovering of the unmarked graves of children near the Kamloops Indian Residential School in May 2021. I was not aware of these schools before the TV show highlighted this.
No comments:
Post a Comment