Wednesday, 21 December 2016

DAY 6: In the Air - December Reflections 2016

On the evening of the 6th December 2016, I come out of a house at the end of a long working day, and look up and about at the lights in the town where I work.

It's December and I'm thinking of Christmas, but when I look around at the houses in this area of the town, the illuminated symbols on many of the windows are to mark an Islamic December festival, the  birthday of the Prophet. I enjoy working in a town that has such a diverse population and learn so much from the people I meet here. In my home town the population is much less diverse and consequently in my view, more fearful of difference.

2016 has been a year of great difficulty politically both in the UK and in the USA. As I look about I can feel the excitement and bustle that always seems to be around in the early evening as people travel home from work and return to  their families. In the air is the feeling of life going on all around, behind all of the windows are the people going about their lives. No matter what occurs around us, we continue to make our lives, to repeat our routines and rituals; and to celebrate our festivals. We make meaning out of the chaos.


No comments:

Post a Comment