Saturday, 26 April 2014

"Miracles often come in disguise...."

November 2013
   "She loved miracle stories, probably because her life was as far away from a miracle as jupiter is from Earth. She believed in miracles, even though she never got one - well maybe she did get one, but that was me, and she didn't know that miracels often come in disguise.
      I was a miracle in that I could have taken her out of her life and into a life she would have liked a lot. It never happened, but that deosn't mean it wasn't there to happen. All of that has been a brutal lesson to me in not overlooking or misunderstanding what is actually there, in your hands, now. We always think the thing we need to transform everything - the miracle- is elsewhere, but often it is right next to us. Sometimes, it is us, ourselves." 
Jeanette Winterson 
Why Be Happy When You Can Be Normal

I'm re-reading this at the moment. Well, actually, I listened to the audio-book version the first time, so I suppose I am reading for the first time. The audio-book has Jeanette Winterson reading it herself. This is a bonus. I love her voice. Simple. 

Whilst listening I laughed outloud, and sobbed outloud too, frequently. I know am going to do the same whilst reading. 

I had to buy a copy in print in addition to the audio version. This is because the words are so delicious that I wanted to savour them again and again. Some parts I just wanted to look at and re-read and share. 

So here I am today, gifting you this stolen quote, as a sort of apology for not being here for so long. I have missed this place and the blogging community, but I think I have found a way to continue to post.


1 comment:

  1. I see what you mean by delicious words. Thanks for sharing. It is nice to see you back for however long or short a time. Hugs.xx

    ReplyDelete