Monday, 31 May 2010

Hey Look! Another Fantastic Wall Walk.

I went exploring in blogland this morning, looking for layout ideas and thinking about what on earth to put on the side of my blog. I came to a halt in a good way, when I stumbled upon an amazing looking bunch of people, who are walking another wall, Hadrian's Wall.

Eighty-four miles of footpath and wall, are going to be tackled in July 2010 in aid of the Joseph Salmon Trust. This is a small Huddersfield Charity that provides financial support to bereaved parents, help with funeral costs, or the cost of taking time out of work for the self-employed, to come to terms with their loss. It was set up in memory of three year old Joseph, who unexpectedly passed away in his sleep in April 2005. Joseph's parents felt that though there were plenty of organisations providing counselling, most parents, understandably, do not make financial provision for the death of a child.


I was completely blown away by the work this group of people have put in to raising their target amount of £20,000. There are T-shirts, and bandanas to buy and a raffle with prizes such as a family break, a digital camera and a hamper. Go here to buy tickets, they are only £1 each and there are also links to justgiving where you can donate.


There are so many important causes out there and there is plenty of support to go around. The focus for my own trek is on providing bereavement counselling for children, however once I've been to China and completed this project, there is a whole list of other just as important causes that I will want to move onto next. I'm going to list some of these in my side bar as soon as I work out how to do that!

The other thing that these hardy fundraisers have taught me this morning, is not to be shy, to get out there and use every means possible to raise the funds and get people to give. After all, we humans feel much better when we are giving now don't we?

"Happiness is the only good.....the time to be happy is now, and the way to be happy is to make others so." Robert Green Ingersoll, American humanist 1876

No comments:

Post a Comment