Saturday, 20 February 2021

Sing a long a Saturday - The Ghosts of Cable Street



So it's almost the end of February already and I haven't been here blogging as I intended. I hope you are all hanging on out there and staying safe and well. 

Today's sing a long a Saturday is "The Ghosts of Cable Street" from The Men They Couldn't Hang, which I did intend to post on the 6th February when I had heard that Stefan Cush, one of the lead singers from The Men They Couldn't Hang, had died of a heart attack at 60 years old. 

This was the most memorable song for me from this band, probably because it was more evident in the mainstream of music which is where I spent a lot of my youth and young adulthood. This song was about the "Battle of Cable Street" in 1936 which was a protest by anti-fascist groups against a planned march by the British Union of Fascists through an east end area of London. This was an area which then had a large Jewish population. 

When I listen to their music and learn more about their work,  I wonder why I wasn't more active in seeking out folk music and performances. They are in a similar genre to Billy Bragg who I was, and still am a big follower off and who was creating his protest songs and music at a similar time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment