| Sunset in the park - late September 2013 |
"Sixty-nine times have these eyes beheld the
changing scenes of Autumn.
I have said enough about moonlight,
Ask me no more.
Only listen to the voices of pines and ceders,
when no wind stirs."
- Ryo-nen (her last composition)
While I was talking with her I was shocked to realise that it was way back in March that a close family member had died, and at the same time another close family member had injured herself in a fall. It seems like only a month or two ago, whereas in reality it is six! The months have flown by.
This weekend is the first time for months, that I have spent any significant time alone.
It was also March when my course finished, and so April and May brought some serious challenges on the financial front whilst I looked for, and found work. Then there was the funeral, and old family hurts that I allowed to resurface and that needed to be put into some perspective.
That old familiar feeling of not belonging to either of my families resurfaced as I watched my "sister" helping with the funeral. I sat at the edges afraid to presume and afraid to ask. Tension exists between my wanting to be part of it all, and my wanting to stay at a distance. That all spilled over recently on a family holiday. Sometimes it hurts too much to be so close!
| Montallegro (Italy) - Late September 2011 |
"Sometimes you wonder how you got on this mountain. But sometimes you wonder, 'How will I get off?"
- Joan Manley
Then there was the pressure I was putting myself under to climb mountains! Lots of mountains in all sorts of different shapes and sizes. Pressure to meet my own, too high, expectations and to put all things right for all people. Pressure to fill up the empty space inside. Pressure that I am not where I "should be". Pressure of not having or being enough.
Old, old patterns repeating themselves. As always there have been choices to make, though some don't feel like choices. That's another old pattern of mine. If I'm busy climbing mountains, and helping everyone else, that keeps me at a distance.
"We build too many walls and not enough bridges."
- Issac Newton
| The Bridge at Ludlow - February 2013 |
Here I am today, thinking about building bridges.....again.
I seem to be able to build bridges for others. I build the bridge and then step back. I turn around and walk away. I enjoy watching the joy as people cross and meet up. Then I build myself another little wall to hide behind.
None of these bridges have been my responsibility to maintain. I can't climb mountains if there are bridges to maintain, now can I? I help others think about maintainence, and give advice and encouragement from a distance.
It's time for me to do some work on my own bridges once again. I've burned too many bridges or left them to become ruins. I wonder if I know how to actually build and maintain bridges, or whether I just know this in theory. I'm out of practice.
I seem to be able to build bridges for others. I build the bridge and then step back. I turn around and walk away. I enjoy watching the joy as people cross and meet up. Then I build myself another little wall to hide behind.
None of these bridges have been my responsibility to maintain. I can't climb mountains if there are bridges to maintain, now can I? I help others think about maintainence, and give advice and encouragement from a distance.
It's time for me to do some work on my own bridges once again. I've burned too many bridges or left them to become ruins. I wonder if I know how to actually build and maintain bridges, or whether I just know this in theory. I'm out of practice.
If no-one else maintains the bridge, then that
doesn't mean I don't need to do the work now does it?
My friend understood that this has been a really busy time, but she missed me and is glad I am back in touch. I'm glad too.
I'm glad for this quiet weekend. All this bridge building and mountain climbing, has been exhausting! I'm glad to have time to reflect and to recognise these cycles of mine.
My friend understood that this has been a really busy time, but she missed me and is glad I am back in touch. I'm glad too.
I'm glad for this quiet weekend. All this bridge building and mountain climbing, has been exhausting! I'm glad to have time to reflect and to recognise these cycles of mine.
Dear Jan, lovely photos you've shared with us. There has been a lot of loss in your life recently. So sorry for that. There is a lot of heavy thinking going on too. I hope you find the peace, joy and equilibrium you seek. Much love and hugs to you. xx
ReplyDeleteAh thank you Penny. I am ok really. A lot to be thankful for but I am always a deep thinker who questions herself. I haven't had too much time to reflect which can be a good think but I do miss it sometimes and come here to process what is happening. Thank you for your hopes, love and hugs.
DeleteOh, Jan... This.
ReplyDeleteThen there was the pressure I was putting myself under to climb mountains! Lots of mountains in all sorts of different shapes and sizes. Pressure to meet my own, too high, expectations and to put all things right for all people. Pressure to fill up the empty space inside. Pressure that I am not where I "should be". Pressure of not having or being enough.
I get it. I do. Lately I am not even walking up hills. I am just ambling along. Right now I just want to not have to try so hard to just walk along.
I don't want to hijack your post but I do thank you for putting my thoughts into words and helping me to not feel so alone and that there is something really wrong with me. I have probably shared this with you before but I will again because it makes so much sense to me. It is from the movie, "Sister Act".
"It's that all my life everybody seems to be doing or catching on to things a second faster or better than me." Sister Mary Robert
It is hard living this way. I keep telling my husband that I don't fit in this world. Everyone drives faster, moves faster, understands and figures our problems faster. Most people seem to get it. Like there is some secret just beyond my grasp and everyone else has arrived. Or at least they are doing a good job at faking it. I can't even fake it.
OK. I am unloading now! Sorry! I am just so grateful that there are people like you out there that are struggling as well. I don't know what I would do without you.
No worries. I don't see it as offloading Birdie. More identifying. I am glad you feel this way, I feel that way about you too. xx
Delete