Whilst loving the snow, and the spring and summer weather of course, I also really love proper rainy days. Saturdays are my favourite day of the week too, especially Saturday mornings.
Unlike the song by the Carpenters rainy days don't always get me down(I'm saying nothing about Mondays note). I enjoy the solitude and the atmosphere of the empty streets on rainy days. I love being indoors and hearing the rain hitting the window or bouncing off the roof. The sounds of cars swooshing through puddles and seeing people hurrying about trying to keep dry, it's all good. There is just something about rainy days!
I took these photographs one Saturday a few weeks ago, when out for a walk. Today I am off to do the same, after meeting a friend for lunch. I also may visit the library in honour of these folks. I'm loving reading this blog, and hearing about trips to different libraries by this little family, as they raise money for Book Aid International and support our libraries at this time of cuts.
I remember very many rainy days when my son was small when the local library and museum were on our list of destinations. Welly boots, brollys and a trip on the bus or the train. All great fun. A bowl of warm soup or a mug of hot chocolate part way through. Then home with a bag of adventures, in the form of books, to enjoy.
I love the privacy of rain,
the way it makes things happen
on verandahs, under canopies
or in the shelter of trees
as a door slams and a girl runs out
into the black-wet leaves.
by the brick wall an iris
sucks up the rain
like intricate food, its tongue
sherbetty, furred.
(From The Privacy of Rain by Helen Denmore)
Thanks for your comment on my blog, Jan. You have a wonderful blog here - I will revisit soonest! SW
ReplyDeleteTrust you had a good Saturday. You have posted two thought-provoking pieces this week. I have to go away and reflect on what you express in your writing and photos. (The raindrop is amazing. I'm trying to capture such detail. It's difficult with a small digital camera, but I enjoy 'experimenting' with it).
ReplyDeleteI hope the coming week is a good one for you.
Hi and thanks to you both for your encouragement. Love both of your blogs too. xx
ReplyDelete